Matt Medeiros is co-owner of a web agency, host of a podcast and developer of WordPress plugins. In this episode, he talks about his experience in car sales and pricing products.
What have you learned about selling and pricing from car sales?
- Selling cars can help you learn to listen and how to deal with “tire kickers.”
- You can develop a niche even in the car sales.
How does value influence a conversation you have with a customer?
- Explain your experience to help the customer see value in your services.
- Provide insight to help the customer understand how to make money with a website.
- “Why have you not done ‘this' yet? and What is that costing you?” are two of his favorite questions.
- Matt sends a “belief document” which sets the stage for a value conversation.
- The belief document can explain the process or be a gatekeeper – it serves a dual purpose.
- Matt shares his thoughts on retainers and tiered support pricing.
What is your opinion of pricing products in the WordPress space?
- With Conductor, for example, you cannot give it away for free and recoup your money.
- Matt's themes are not priced high, but they are lean and mean.
- WordPress pricing is inexpensive compared to other software markets.
- “Free” does not include consistent support from the developer.