Matt Medeiros is co-owner of a web agency, host of a podcast and developer of WordPress plugins. In this episode, he talks about determining value and pricing services for WordPress projects.
What is your opinion of pricing services in the WordPress space?
- For services, first and foremost be confident in what you can provide.
- Positioning is very important – what do you do? Be to yourself.
- Make sure the customer is a fit and then have a value conversation with them.
- To get started, you can explain what is valuable and then give a discount to get a customer.
- Consider the value to the customer and the value to you.
- Include additional things you bring to the table, besides development:
- Customer education
- Project management
- Project hosting
What are the key areas of your multi-faceted business?
- Web agency
- Premium themes and plugins
- Membership site
- Printed travel guide
- Rework was an inspiration to Matt as he watched 37Signals grow.
- Services are easier to price because the negotiating skills are based on a conversation.
- Hope is not a strategy for pricing.
- Matt referenced Kirk's interview on The Freelancers Show, which explained how you offer options to customers.
- Value pricing scales up and down.
- Have everyone pay you what it is worth – then you will not prioritize one customer over another.